English Cream Golden Retrievers are becoming very popular all over the world. While there are many types and colors of Goldens, this version is very distinct with its light creamy color that makes it appear as if it is a White Golden Retriever.
While English Cream Goldens are very similar to the other types of Golden Retrievers, they do have a few characteristics that separate them from the American and Canadian Goldens. Below we will look at what makes them unique!
What Is An English Cream (White) Golden Retriever?
The English Cream Golden Retriever is a variety of this breed. One of its principal characteristics is its thinner coat versus the standard Golden Retriever, but they are the same breed. What is remarkable about this dog is its light cream color. People breed these dogs mainly in the United Kingdom and Europe.
You may be amazed to know that the English Golden Retriever is not a rare or exotic variety. The variety is very popular and familiar in many households in Europe and the United Kingdom. At first glance, its light coat is one of the main differences that make it stand out from the American variety. But, the rest of its characteristics are pretty similar to the traditional Golden Retriever. Read on to learn more about this adorable, noble, and beloved pet variety.
The English Cream Golden Retriever is a variety of Golden Retriever with a much lighter coat. That is why people also call it the White Golden Retriever.
Apart from this difference in coat color, we can say that it has no significant differences with the American Golden Retriever. It is a dog with the same friendly character, reaches a similar size, and needs practically the same care.
Main Characteristics of English Cream Golden Retrievers
The English Cream Golden Retriever is one of the most beautiful dogs you’ll ever see. Below is a list of the physical characteristics you’ll notice if you come across them.
- This dog has a medium-large size. Its body is quite harmonious and very well proportioned. Due to its size, a dog needs to be in a house with enough space inside and outside.
- It has a sizable structured head with a dip between the nose and forehead.
- It has dark eyes with pigmented eyelid rims; this gives it a very tame dog appearance.
- The English Cream Golden Retriever has a lot of hair. For this reason, you should brush it quite often. This hair can be straight or wavy.
- It has a very dense undercoat. This condition makes these dogs tolerate the cold and humid climates.
- The different shades in the color of their coat can go from bright golden to a soft cream.
Are English Cream Golden Retrievers White?
As we have already seen, English Cream Golden Retrievers have a much lighter coat than traditional Golden Retrievers.
Their coat color is paler than the solid gold of standard Golden Retrievers. Therefore, although people call them White Golden Retrievers, they are not pure white. Instead, their coat color ranges from a pale yellow to cream.
Differences Between English Cream Golden Retrievers And American Golden Retrievers
We have said that there are practically no significant differences between English Cream Golden Retrievers and Golden Retrievers. First, however, let’s review a concise comparison chart that contrasts those aspects where these retrievers differ.
|Characteristics||English Cream Golden Retriever||American Golden Retriever|
|Body Size||Slightly smaller||Slightly larger|
|Back Line||More straight||Less straight|
|Life Expectancy||12 years||10 years|
|Dog cost||More expensive||Less expensive|
|Health Care Cost||Less Investment||More Investment|
History of English Cream Golden Retrievers
First of all, it is good to clarify some aspects of this breed. The English Golden Retriever is not a different breed from the Golden Retriever; they are the same breed. What happens is that some breeders have tried to create the idea that these lighter-colored retrievers are an exotic breed to sell them at a higher price. By doing this, people who buy them think they are paying more because it is a rare dog. None of this is true.
The Golden Retriever breed includes in its original blood a wide variety of coat colors. The warm and medium golden colors are most abundant in the United States to the lighter creams bred in Europe.
Origin of Golden Retrievers
The first known Golden Retrievers came from Scotland in the mid-1800s. Baron Tweedmouth of Guisachan was one of the first breeders of this breed.
Another interesting aspect that we know is that the Golden Retriever was born from the crossing of two breeds. The two breeds were the Wavy Coated Retriever and the Tweed Water Spaniel, both extinct today. As a result of this crossbreeding, the first four puppies of traditional Golden Retrievers and English Cream Golden Retrievers were born.
The American line of Golden Retrievers first arrived from Canada. Although physical and genetic changes have occurred in the dog over the years, the original line remains intact. So when you hear American Golden Retriever or English Cream Golden Retriever, don’t think they are two different breeds.
Amazing Facts About English Cream Golden Retrievers That You Probably Don’t Know
Inside the fascinating world of this beautiful dog, there are still many things to discover. Below we will go over some curiosities about this striking friend that you probably didn’t know.
- Another name people use to call them is Rare White European Retrievers. Due to the pale color of their fur, people call them Rare White Retrievers. But as we have already studied, there is nothing rare about them.
- All Golden Retrievers, in general, originated in Scotland. In other words, all Golden Retrievers have an original European lineage. Now, we differentiate them depending on the country people breed them.
- Golden Retrievers have three bloodlines. These lines are English, Canadian and American. They all come from the same line, but these countries dominate the breeding of this breed.
- It is not accurate to say that they are healthier. Many English Cream Golden Retriever owners claim that they are much healthier and less sickly than the traditional Golden Retriever. The debate on this point arises because there are still no studies that prove the integrity of this theory.
- English Cream Golden Retrievers should run for an hour and a half a day. These sweet animals will be happier as long as they have an open space to run. It is advisable to take two walks a day with them of thirty minutes each.
- There are registrations for English Cream Golden Retriever puppies that can cost up to $3,500. This high price has to do with the color of the retriever and the animal’s pedigree.
- They are heavy shedders. They shed their fur in abundance; for this reason, we must brush them quite frequently. Therefore, grooming this breed can be a bit laborious.
Temperament of English Cream Golden Retrievers
These dogs are ideal for families with children because their character is one of their main advantages over other breeds.
- Cream Golden Retrievers are intelligent and very friendly.
- They are very balanced and calm dogs.
- They are sensitive to people and can adapt to the personalities of all family members.
- They are very friendly dogs with strangers. Even if they do not know visitors, they have an innate need to make new friends. No matter if they are people, other dogs, or even cats.
- They are straightforward to train due to their remarkable intelligence. Besides, this dog also loves to please its human owners.
- Due to their high intelligence, they need to be mentally challenged and tend to fall into routines.
- They are dogs that love positive reinforcement and demonstrations of affection.
- These dogs will be pleased if we prepare them with a daily physical exercise routine. They are also excellent swimmers.
- They are lousy watch dogs because they love everyone, even strangers.
- They are not aggressive dogs.
- They are not shy or nervous dogs.
The English Cream Golden Retriever and the American or traditional Golden Retrievers are the same breeds. The only palpable difference is the cream color of their coat. Other than that, they are very similar in behavior.
Cream or White Golden Retrievers are the ideal pet for the whole family, with a charming and loving personality. They are safe for small children since they are not aggressive dogs. The only thing they look for is the affection of all the people around them.